Published: April 11, 2011
Follow Grilling With Rich:
Every industry has its big factories and its little guys.Rocky v. Apollo Creed. We all say that we root for Rocky but do we really?
But when it comes down to it, who are you really rooting for? As much as barbecue sauce makers create their sauce in hopes to become the next “Big Box Brand” or even “A Mid-Size” but I am sure that in the back of barbecue sauce makers mind it is all about the craft of making the barbecue sauce and also the story on why they started to make their barbecue sauce which makes it special and close to their hearts. That is why I think that we should celebrate and reward the little guy by coming up with a new term for these barbecue sauce pioneers and just like our counterparts in the beer world I am introducing a new term: Craft BBQ Sauce Makers.
Now all of your sauce makers out there might be saying to yourself and I would agree we are in it for the passion of barbecue sauces and the tradition and history behind our sauces, but when it comes down to it would you rather have your sauces just proudly displayed at local barbecue competitions and have loyal and satisfied customers who truly really enjoy them, or would you want to be the “Big Box Brand” of the barbecue sauce in the big box stories. Maybe there should be a section that we consumers demand that every big box store should devote a shelve to local barbecue sauce, otherwise they aren’t allowed to come into the neighborhood. What about that? Who is with me?
Now, I am not naive, I as much as the next guy love having money hey, isn’t that what we always focuses on, besides on other thing (which I will not mention because this site is a family site 😉 ) but those two items have changed the world in ways that we can not even imagine. But my argument is plain and simple, as craft barbecue sauce makers we should embrace this and create a new culture that will focus and reward the little guy for creating and being true to the barbecue roots that particular sauce is molded after instead of trying to mass produce as many bottles as possible and loosing some of the roots that brought them to becoming too massive.
I do not mean to insult big corporations and I am not saying that big sauce companies are all bad, all I am saying is that we should embrace Craft Barbecue Sauces like the beer world has embraced Craft Beers. Hey, there are many websites and blogs devoted to craft beers. Bottom line: I think that our culture in general does not accept or reward the little guy.
Here are some concepts that should be related to craft barbecue sauces. They might look similar and they should be you can find the same standards and concepts related to craft beer and craft brewers. But the same rules should apply, I am just going to replace “craft beer” with “craft barbecue sauces”
- The hallmark of craft barbecue sauces and craft barbecue sauces is innovation. Craft sauce makers should and must interpret historic styles with unique twists and develop new styles that have no precedent.
- Craft barbecue sauces are generally made with traditional ingredients like malted barley; interesting and sometimes non-traditional ingredients are often added for distinctiveness.
- Craft barbecue sauce makers tend to be very involved in their communities through philanthropy, product donations, volunteerism, and sponsorship of events.
- Craft barbecue sauce makers have distinctive, individualistic approaches to connecting with their customers. Just saying that you doesn’t qualify
- Craft barbecue sauce makers maintain integrity by what they brew and their general independence, free from a substantial interest by a non-craft brewer.
So with all this being said, so let’s start a new movement: Craft Barbecue Sauces! Take the pledge and be proud that you are a craft sauce maker!
You Might Like These Other BBQ & Grilling Articles