Published: August 27, 2015
Follow Grilling With Rich:
I had a brief opportunity to interact and meet David Guas when I appeared on the Travel Channel’s “American Grilled.” Even though I didn’t make it really far in the competition I quickly got a good sense of David’s passion for preparing and experiencing great food. So it was no surprise to me that when I got an email asking me to review this book, I knew that Grill Nation: 200 Surefire Recipes, Tips, and Techniques to Grill Like a Pro was going to be a great barbecue cookbook that everyone must purchase
Book Description of Grill Nation: 200 Surefire Recipes, Tips, and Techniques to Grill Like a Pro
As host of Travel Channel’s “American Grilled,” Chef David Guas travels the country seeking backyard cooking’s best and boldest flavors. In Grill Nation, Guas shares the secrets he’s learned along the way, offering pit-proven tips, techniques, and delicious recipes for year-round smoking, grilling, and barbecuing.
This encyclopedic guide covers all the bases, pairing expert advice with a crowd-pleasing collection of recipes ranging from classic grilled mains – beef, pork, chicken, fish, and game – to fired-up sides, salads, and even desserts.
Grilled Molasses Flank Steak with Watermelon Salsa by David Guas
Featuring step-by-step instructions, vivid color photographs, and clear charts outlining temperatures and cooking times, Grill Nation includes everything you need to master the flame and create flavorful home-cooked food.
Review and Rating of David Guas book titled: Grill Nation: 200 Surefire Recipes, Tips, and Techniques to Grill Like a Pro
What I like most about any great barbecue and grilling cookbook is the quality, quantity, photography and the ease that the recipes can be executed, so here are my thoughts on those specific topics.
- Quality & Quantity of Recipes: With over 200 amazing recipes, the quantity of recipes can not be denied, so there is very little that can be written about how the book doesn’t have great recipes to try. I will also say that the quality of the recipes are great, David provides the reader with many different recipes for the various proteins and also David comes up with some great out of the box recipes for desserts and also some great drink recipes to make on the grill. Recipes such as a grilled Redfish and Corn Maque Choux with Beurre Blanc to a recipe to make a German Chocolate Pie, David really shows great range and his creativity.
- Food Photography: Having great food photos in a cookbook has to be one of the most important factors in what makes the difference between a great cookbook and just an average cookbook. I think that the pictures are most likely the most important aspect of a successful book. I think that the photographer did a good job of showing the finish product. The one thing that I would have liked to see a bit more pictures of how the recipes are being put together and also the placement of the food on the grill, even though some recipes have a “Step -by-step- call out with them. Another aspect of the food photography that I would have liked to see is more “action” pictures meaning pictures of the food on the actual grill.
- Overall Review: Grill Nation: 200 Surefire Recipes, Tips, and Techniques to Grill Like a Pro is another great grilling cookbook. David Guas does an great job of taking his southern roots and applying it to the grill and eventually your kitchen. If you follow the step-by-step directions of his book then you are going to be in for a real treat. This book is a must have if you are looking for some out of the box but also some great recipes to make on the grill then Grill Nation: 200 Surefire Recipes, Tips, and Techniques to Grill Like a Pro is a book for you!
Also of Interest:
- Cowboy Rib Eye a la Plancha with Crispy Brioche Salad and Grilled Dates
- Smoke It Like a Pro on the Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Cookers: An Independent Guide with Master Recipes from a Competition Barbecue Team–Includes Smoking, Grilling and Roasting Techniques
- Follow Grilling with Rich on Twitter for the latest and greatest info in the BBQ and Grilling World
Get the best thermometer in the barbecue and grilling market: the The Super-Fast Thermapen
You Might Like These Other BBQ & Grilling Articles