2015 Study of the Barbecue Industry Reports High Consumer Interest in Purchasing New Grills and Exploring New BBQ Techniques in 2016Posted By: Richard Wachtel
Published: December 4, 2015
Follow Grilling With Rich:
Nearly half of all owners own the most basic grilling accessories (cleaning brush, tongs, glove/mitts), and many plan to purchase more specialized accessories in the year ahead, such as:
- Pizza stone (14%)
- Fish or broiling basket (14%)
- Cedar or other cooking planks (14%)
- Motorized rotisserie (12%)
- Grill woks (11%)
- Bucking the e-commerce trend, 83% of recent grill or smoker purchases were made in-store, while 11% were made online.
Why Cook Out? For Most, It’s About the Flavor
While we always enjoy grilling and barbecuing but rarely need a reason but some of the main reasons why people cook with their grills and smokers include:
- 71% like the improved flavors
- 54% grill and barbecue for personal enjoyment
- 42% grill and barbecue for entertaining family and friends
- 32% grill and barbecue because of convenience and;
- 23% grill and barbecue because of hobby/experimentation.
- Beyond holidays, 55% barbecued for birthday parties, 24% on a camping trip and 14% during tailgating activities for sporting events.
Outdoor Kitchens: The New Home Addition?
- 10% of grill owners have an outdoor kitchen, featuring primarily premium grills, furniture and lighting. Of these outdoor kitchen owners,
- 35% are likely to upgrade in the next three years. Of these individuals who plan to upgrade:
- 67% plan to purchase new outdoor furniture
- 46% plan to improve their deck/patio (and/or build a new one)
- 43% plan to improve their garden/landscaping
- 38% plan to purchase a new premium grill or smoker
Also of Interest:
You Might Like These Other BBQ & Grilling Articles